I’d like to update you on what all has been burning down behind the scenes buuuut that will have to (continue to…) wait. Meanwhile, there’s a LOT going on in Austin this Memorial Day weekend. Get after it.
My Six Pack as shared on 104.9 The Horn FM, at 9am Central Time (you can listen online if you’re not here in Austin). I’m on and sharing my Where’s The Fun picks every Wednesday morning, so tune in! Meanwhile… the six pack:
- Blues on the Green kicks off tonight, 8pm at Zilker, with Austin’s pysch-rock-heavy-hitters The Black Angels. Night Glitter will open. THE WEATHER IS GOING TO BE GREAT. Wheeee! Arianna’s got the details HERE.
- Thursday – SOUND THE ALARMS – the 2nd Annual Hot Luck Festival is happening. And OMFG it sounds glorious. Straight from their website cause they say it best:
Hot Luck: Live Food & Music will return to honor the soul, sweat and DIY diversity of the food and music world. It’s the perfect imperfection of grandma’s gumbo and pawpaw’s BBQ — but delivered by new interpretations from the next generation. Hot Luck is inspired by friendly tailgates, family reunions, get-togethers and potlucks of our past and present — with a few differences. It is a fun, chef-driven, celebration of fire, food, music, and camaraderie. And surprises, lots of fun surprises. An a la carte eat-with-your-fingers picnic and party experience that highlights open-pit feats of culinary know how, and music in your ears that is as thoughtfully created as the food on your plate. Come hungry, thirsty, and bring your dancin’ boots. Hot Luck is proud to donate a portion of the festival’s proceeds to The SAFE Alliance. The SAFE Alliance is a merger of Austin Children’s Shelter and SafePlace, both long-standing and respected human service agencies in Austin serving the survivors of child abuse, sexual assault and exploitation, and domestic violence. Visit safeaustin.org to learn more about this amazing organization.
www.HotLuckFest.com for full details – you can buy tickets for one day or the whole enchilada – food and music for four days and four nights for $550.
- Friday, Saturday and Tuesday May 29th – The Austin Film Society is showing one of my all time favorite movies EVER: Run Lola Run. Apparently this German pulse quickening adrenaline laced movie is ceebrating it’s 20th Anniversary. English subtitles. www.AustinFilm.org for details or just trust me when I say this movie is still QUITE A THRILLING RIDE. Whichever. The movie plays at 10pm, but on Friday night they have a DJ playing a set starting at 8:30pm. #IcantGetNoSleep
- Date night done right: or date DAY this time around: Soma Vida Wellness is offering a CRASH COURSE in Argentinian tango… a.k.a. the sexiest couples dance on the planet. I repeat, they are offering a CRASH COURSE specifically for those who have two left feet and aren’t confident. They say that this class is great for people who haven’t danced before – and who have never tried tango. You can roll in solo – and as a man – you will THRILL the ladies in the room as there are always more individual women at these things than men. You are also welcome to take the class as a couple. The class is capped at 20 to ensure proper attention and instruction. Some Vida has the worst website ever (never ever up to date) so grab your tickets HERE.
- Sunday brunch just got rad all over again. Last week I presented a Brunch Cruise on Town Lake – and this week I’m recommending a Brunch BUS. <insert angels singing here> Twisted Texas Tours has put this together- it’s a 21 and up adventure – the bus departs from 4th street includes live music – and hits up THREE spots with adult beverages provided at each stop. Bonus: the bus is BYOB s o you can make an actual mess of yourself and your day if it pleases you. This Sunday’s tour will feature breakfast tacos, Czech kolaches and chicken & waffles. What whaaaat?! RESERVATIONS RECOMMENDED.
- I saved the best named option for last. FTW – F@nk This Week – is a pay what you want improv comedy adventure that takes place EVERY Monday night from 8 to 9pm at the Fallout theater. They promise “comedic exploration of your shit ass week” AND they promise to give the floor to at least one audience member who wants to complain about their week so far – ON A MONDAY NIGHT no less- which feels like it will be a glorious hot mess. I’m all in. PSA: they used to BYOB BUT THEY NOW HAVE THEIR OWN FULL BAR. Soooo don’t try to bring your own drinks in. They’re not having it. www.falloutcomedy.com is under construction so get full details HERE.